As promised, today marks the introduction of our new format and schedule, and I couldn’t think of a better way of kicking things off than with one of my favourite recipes- Dark Chocolate & Almond Power Bars!
One of the biggest misconceptions about eating clean is that you only eat bland rabbit food. But myths dispelled, eating clean can also be fantastically delicious. Case in point? Today’s tasty treat. Not only do these bars address those sweet tooth cravings we all get, but they also provide a bit of protein and crunch to keep us full between meals.
Dark Chocolate & Almond Power Bars
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup whole grain flour
2 scoops vanilla protein powder
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp raw, organic honey
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup almond slivers
2 oz dark chocolate chunks
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
2. Mix all dry ingredients (minus chocolate and almonds) together in a medium sized bowl with a large spoon. Add wet ingredients to the bowl and mix together all ingredients until the texture is consistent
3. Add chocolate chunks and almond slivers to the mixture.
4. Pour the mixture into a glass 9cm x 9cm dish which has been sprayed with a cooking oil spray
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown
Once you remove them from the oven, give them 5-10 minutes to cool before dividing them into 8 equal parts. Serve and enjoy responsibly 🙂
Makes 8 servings, 240 calories per bar